Beating that Weight Loss Plateau
So you have been going all gung-ho on exercise and watching your food intake for the last few weeks and months, results have been going well but all of a sudden your weight loss has stalled and you aren’t seeing the results you expect. Sound familiar? Thinking of throwing in the towel? Well don’t, that is the worst thing you can do.
You need to understand that plateaus happen to absolutely everybody, so stop feeling sorry for yourself in that regard because you are in the same boat as everybody else in terms of getting results, what differentiates the people that achieve results form those that achieve no results is what happens when these plateaus happen. The successful people who overcome a plateau, tend to assess what has gone on, adapt and keep progressing. The unsuccessful people when they plateau, think it’s not working for them and stop.
Instead of throwing in the towel follow these few simple tips to help you get you back on track and keep moving towards your goal.
- Track your food 100% for a week and see if there are areas that can be improved in that regard. Using a program like Shape My Plan can make this very easy for you.
- Slightly increase your calorie expenditure, if you have only been hitting the gym aim to add in 30 mins walking per day, it is low intensity but a very underrated calorie burner.
- Drink more water.
- Observe if your clothes are still becoming looser and inches coming down even if the scales are not moving. If this is happening then you are still definitely on track.
- Get more sleep.
- If eating out, and it’s going to be quite a calorie dense reduce your calories across the rest of that day to ensure you are still within/close to your daily calorie goal.
- Most importantly, don’t stress, weight loss is never a simple linear process, and like anything in life, there will be obstacles and detours along the way. Keep the focus and you will eventually get to your goal.